Monday, June 27, 2011

Col. Stuart Lockhart, USMC




SUBIC BAY – Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel Stuart Lockhart, executive officer of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, interfaces with Republic of the Philippines marine.

Lieutenant Colonel Stuart R. Lockhart, USMC
Executive Officer (Infantry)

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~navy/nrotcrice.html

Lieutenant Colonel Stuart R. Lockhart was born and raised in southern New Jersey, graduating from the United States Naval Academy in 1991.

Commissioned a Second Lieutenant, he completed The Basic School and the Infantry Officer's Course (IOC) and was assigned to the 2d Reconnaissance Battalion, 2d MarDiv in Camp Lejeune, NC, for duty as a platoon commander.

Following his tour with 2d Reconnaissance Company, Lieutenant Colonel Lockhart was reassigned to the 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment for duty as the executive officer. After completing a deployment with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), he was transferred to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot at San Diego...in the Recruit Training Regiment as company commander. Lieutenant Colonel Lockhart attended the U.S. Army's Armored Officers Advanced Course.

Lieutenant Colonel Lockhart departed 3/1 in August 2001 to begin his graduate studies at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pa., under the Advanced Degree Program (ADP).

Completing his Masters of Arts in Military History in December 2002, he was assigned as an instructor in the History Department at the U.S. Naval Academy.


From: Capt. Lockhart USNA

To: Mr. Kelly,

I want to thank you very much for your note and I am indeed interested in the recovery of Lt. Richard Somers' remains.

Being a native of South Jersey, I grew up listening to the stories of our area and my father, a former naval officer and naval history enthusiast...impressed upon me at an early age the events of the Barbary Wars, from the destruction of the Philadelphia to the role played by Lt. Somers.

Also, I read the story that was placed in the Sentinel last year that described your efforts and, at the time, I meant to contact you. With the busyness of my billet here, I was remiss...I want to thank you for taking this step!

I can tell you that your article has been a topic of note in my "American Naval History Class" since I saw it last year. In fact, a copy of it is taped to my office hatch for midshipmen and fellow faculty to read. The wars of the early Republic are, of course, the source of nearly a day's worth of material in this class.

I think the case of Richard Somers, and those sailors lost on the Intrepid on 4 Sept, 1804, serves to show just how our history remains a part of us, and how a relative "footnote" from our past can still be important today. Also...it shows to what lengths our nation will go to preserve those lost in its service. Again, my hats off to you, Mr. Kelly!

As you know, Richard Somers and his fellow officers lost in the Barbary Wars of 1801-1805 are especially important here at USNA.

The Tripolitan Monument rests yards from my office and it reminds us of the courage of the men who died in one of America's first overseas conflicts. You mention Wadsworth and Israel...I'm sure you know that Stephen Decatur, Jr's younger brother is also represented on the monument. In many ways, Decatur's exploits in this war and afterward overshadowed those of Somers. Unfortunate...but at least his memory has lived on in other ways.

Once again, Mr. Kelly...please keep me informed as to the continued developments and when, in the future, the reinterrment will take place. I would love to attend this event. Also, let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.

Semper Fidelis,
Stuart Lockhart
Major, USMC

PS: My wife is interested in this story as she is a USNA graduate also, and a Linwood native!

Larry Greer, Public Relations officer with DOD POW/MP office in Washington:

“In any event, the issue of whether or not Lt. Somers’ remains will be moved, now or in the future, is a Navy issue, and the Navy has told us last time around on this, the Navy has told us they are NOT in any way interested in moving his remains. It’s not a POW/MP issue, because these men are not missing. But it is a navy operational issue, even though it dates back a few centuries ago. But whatever happens to the remains of those men is entirely in the hands of the Navy, and I think you already have some contacts there.”

No comments: